We offer free shipping everywhere in the USA!

Top 5 Dangers To Pets During The Holidays

Top 5 Dangers To Pets During The Holidays

It's been a hectic (but fun-filled) holiday season around my home this year. We've got a very active one and half-year-old wire fox terrier (Spencer) and a four-month-old Irish setter (Scarlett) that's keeping us on our toes! Combine that with our rescue Pomeranian (Harry) and two rescue cats (Rocket and Apollo) and........well, you get the picture.

In all seriousness, obviously, this year is going to be different for all of us. And while we are in the middle of a pandemic, I'm sure you will find creative ways to celebrate the holidays with loved ones. For most of us, that means staying home and enjoying the holidays with immediate family and our four-legged family members.

With that in mind, it's important to remember that the holidays do bring added risk factors to our furry critters underneath our feet. I've put together a helpful guide outlining the top 5 dangers to pets during the holidays. I hope you find it useful.

Preventive Measures Can Save Pets

Source: Nationwide Insurance

Take preventive measures to protect your pets this holiday season. Being aware of these top five dangers could save you a trip to the veterinary emergency room.

1. Holiday Tinsel and Ornaments

Tinsel

Tinsel, while not toxic, is very attractive to pets, particularly cats. The shiny, dangling decoration reflects light and can move in the slightest draft — appearing to come alive to watchful critters.

The problem with tinsel is that once it’s consumed, it can cause serious injury to your pet. If not caught in time, this foreign body ingestion could actually be fatal as it twists and bunches inside your pet’s intestines. Immediate veterinary care is required.

In addition, bright and colorful tree ornaments can attract your pet’s curiosity. Place glass, aluminum and paper ornaments higher up on the tree. Pets can chew and swallow these fragile objects and not only can broken pieces form sharp edges that may lacerate your pet’s mouth, throat and intestines, they could also create a choking hazard.

2. Holiday Lighting and Candles

Lights

Twinkling, shiny and dangling holiday lights — such as the icicle, netting, garland, curtain, rope and candle varietal — may be another source of danger to your curious pets.

Got a pet that likes to chew? Electrical shock may occur when a pet chomps down on an electrical cord, causing tongue lacerations and possible death. Check your holiday lights for signs of fraying or chewing and use a grounded three-prong extension cord as a safety precaution.

If you have candles on display, place them in a hard-to-reach spot so that your pets can not access them. Not only can pets seriously burn themselves, but knocking over candles creates a fire hazard and may leave a trail of hot wax that will easily burn the pads of paws and more.

3. Gift Wrap Ribbon

Gift Wrappings

You may be tempted to fashion your pet with a decorative ribbon “collar” but beware that this could become a choking hazard.

Also, it’s best to quickly discard ribbons and bows wrapped around holiday gifts so that your curious companions won’t be enticed to chew or swallow them. Ingested ribbon can cause a choking hazard and ultimately twist throughout the intestines, leading to emergency surgery and even death.

4. Food Hazards

Festive events often mean edible treats — and lots of them. Unfortunately, some of the most popular holiday goodies, such as chocolate, bones and nuts, can be extremely toxic or fatal to pets.

Different types of chocolate contain various levels of fat, caffeine and the substance methylxanthine. In general, the darker and richer the chocolate (i.e., baker’s chocolate), the higher the risk of toxicity. Depending on the type and amount of chocolate ingested, dogs might experience vomiting, diarrhea, urination, hyperactivity, heart arrhythmias, tremors and seizures.

Fat trimmings and bones are dangerous for pets. Fat trimmed from meat, both cooked and uncooked, may cause pancreatitis. And, although it seems natural to give a dog a bone, a dog can choke on it. Bones can also splinter and cause an obstruction or lacerations of your dog's digestive system.

Abundant in many cookies and candies, certain nuts should not be given to pets. Almonds, non-moldy walnuts and pistachios can cause an upset stomach or an obstruction of your dog's throat and/or intestinal tract. Macadamia nuts and moldy walnuts can be toxic, causing seizures or neurological signs. Lethargy, vomiting and loss of muscle control are among the effects of nut ingestion.

Keep your pet on her regular diet and caution visitors against giving your pet special treats or table scraps. For a full list of toxic foods, check out this comprehensive, printable infographic for toxic and hazardous food for pets.

20 Toxic & Hazardous Food Guide for Pets

5. Toxic Holiday Plants

Holiday Plants

They may be pretty, but some holiday plants are poisonous—even deadly. As little as a single leaf from any lily variety is lethal to cats. Others to avoid:

Christmas tree pine needles can produce oral irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, trembling and posterior weakness.

Holly, commonly found during the Christmas season, can cause intense vomiting, diarrhea and depression.

Mistletoe, another Christmas plant, can cause significant vomiting and diarrhea, difficulty breathing, collapse, erratic behavior, hallucinations and death when ingested.

Poinsettia, contrary to popular belief, is not deadly; however, it can cause irritation to the mouth and stomach and sometimes vomiting if a large quantity has been consumed.

Taking precautions with pets during these festive times can help ensure that you and your family have a happy holiday season!

Older Post
Newer Post

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

Close (esc)

Autumn Collars are here!

Have you seen our special-edition 2021 Autumn Collar Collection? Available in limited quantities while supplies last.

take me there!

Age verification

By clicking enter you are verifying that you are old enough to consume alcohol.

Search

Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.
Shop now